Kris Kringle Star Bread
I make this recipe for family and friends every holiday season.—Evelyn Fisher, Haines, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 breads (18 slices each)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, eggs, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each half into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to two greased baking sheets. Cut five 4-in.-long slits into each circle equal distance apart. Set aside half of filling for garnish; spoon remaining filling into the center of each section.
- Fold the two outer edges of each section over each other to enclose filling, forming star points. Pinch edges together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with confectioners' sugar icing. Spoon reserved filling into the centers.
Originally published as Kris Kringle Star Bread in Country December/January 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.