Kris Kringle Star Bread
I make this recipe for family and friends every holiday season.—Evelyn Fisher, Haines, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 breads (18 slices each)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, eggs, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each half into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to two greased baking sheets. Cut five 4-in.-long slits into each circle equal distance apart. Set aside half of filling for garnish; spoon remaining filling into the center of each section.
- Fold the two outer edges of each section over each other to enclose filling, forming star points. Pinch edges together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with confectioners' sugar icing. Spoon reserved filling into the centers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.