Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, eggs, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each half into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to 2 greased baking sheets. Cut five 4-in.-long slits into each circle equal distance apart. Set aside half of filling for garnish; spoon remaining filling into the center of each section.
- Fold the 2 outer edges of each section over each other to enclose filling, forming star points. Pinch edges together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Drizzle with confectioners' sugar icing. Spoon reserved filling into the centers.
1 piece: 155 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.