Kohlrabi ‘n’ Carrot Bake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 medium kohlrabies, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place kohlrabies and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the vegetable mixture, parsley and lemon juice. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 141 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
May 6, 2017
This was a great recipe to introduce us to kohlrabi. I will definitely make this again.
Jul 1, 2015
My first time eating kohlrabi. I browned the onions and boiled the kohlrabi, but then I warmed up a half bag of frozen mixed veggies to add in. I had no parsley, so I snipped a bunch of Kale and dropped that in for greenery. I'm not a fan of breadcrumbs, so I ground up some almonds and added that as topping. Next time I will add salt and garlic to the almond topping because the whole dish needed a bit more salt and a bit more kick. I will definitely make this again.
Nov 2, 2013
This was our first time trying kohlrabi and everyone liked it.
Sep 2, 2011
Delicious! Everyone loved it. You can add kohlrabi to any vegetable dish, including stir fry. My next recipe is to add it to corned beef and cabbage, along with potatoes, onions, and carrots! Thank you for sharing!
Jul 31, 2011
This is a great recipe. My husband and I are trying to eat more vegetables. Added a 1/2 teaspoon of season salt and omited the regular salt. Will be making this often. Might try the cheese next time.
Oct 19, 2010
Maybe my kohlrabi were overgrown or they just need to be peeled twice - edges were very woody. This recipe tastes like scalloped potatoes with carrots.
Sep 12, 2010
My husband and I love the combination of both vegetables. It is the best recipe I've come across to enjoy Kohlrabi..It is worth the try..Sept.12, 2010 - - schnuckelchen
Sep 22, 2008
This was wonderful! I added cheese to the sause and cooked cubed chicken. We had it as the main meal. Even my picky 6 and 4 year old ate it. Thanks