"When I was a teacher, this dessert was the one co-workers and my students requested most often, says Kimie Taziri of Fort Collins, Colorado. "It's light and refreshing and very easy to make."
Recommended: 31 Baking Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 50 wafers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled, halved and sliced
- In a bowl, combine the wafer crumbs and the sugar; stir in the butter. press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over reserved juice; let stand for 1 minute. Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, ricotta cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; gradually add gelatin mixture, orange peel and vanilla. beat on low speed until well mixed. Spoon half into crust. Cut four pineapple rings in half; arrange in a spoke fashion over filling. Evenly spoon remaining filling over pineapple. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Beat marmalade until soft and spreadable; brush 6 tablespoons on top of cheesecake. Cut remaining pineapple rings in half; arrange over marmalade. Place kiwi slices between pineapple rings. brush with remaining marmalade. Just before serving, run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Kiwi Pineapple Cheesecake in Country Woman March/April 2002, p41