- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 5 large marshmallows, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Assorted M&M's
- 1 piece red shoestring licorice, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Chocolate sprinkles
- About 9 vanilla wafers
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add egg yolks; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar. Fold into creamed mixture with coconut. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook , without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Beat in hot syrup mixture. Add marshmallows and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Frost cupcakes.
- Arrange M&M's for eyes and nose, licorice for mouth and sprinkles for whiskers. For ears, cut wafers into quarters with a serrated knife; place two on each cupcake, rounded side down. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forKitty Cat Cupcakes
"A friend is a cat lover--and this is the b-day cake for her. They sound yummy and are cute as heck"