Kielbasa Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the cabbage, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Combine the water, vinegar and brown sugar; add to cabbage mixture.
- 2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 cup: 256 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Kielbasa Cabbage Soup
"My family loves this recipe, including the kids. I do sauté the sausage first, to bring out the flavor. I remove the sausage and add the onion, cabbage, and garlic to the drippings, and sauté. I leave out the caraway seeds, because I do not care for them in anything I cook."
"Excellent. I used balsamic vinegar which gave it a very unique flavor. Everyone asks for the recipe after tasting it."
"My family loves this soup. It's a winner!"
"Excellent! I used turkey kielbasa, and we had to cook it pretty long over low heat, but the end result was well worth it."
"FIVE STARS. I am making again today. January 8th, 2012. Last time I made Nov.4th. Everyone love it. Best taste after day old. I thank to my grandma-in-law."
"I've made this recipe many, many times for my family and friends.... Everyone always seems to love, love, love it!!! It's a good one for a cold fall or winter dinner..."