- 1 small cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, halved
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the cabbage, onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Combine water, vinegar and brown sugar; add to cabbage mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forKielbasa Cabbage Soup
"My family loves this recipe, including the kids. I do sauté the sausage first, to bring out the flavor. I remove the sausage and add the onion, cabbage, and garlic to the drippings, and sauté. I leave out the caraway seeds, because I do not care for them in anything I cook."
"Excellent. I used balsamic vinegar which gave it a very unique flavor. Everyone asks for the recipe after tasting it."
"My family loves this soup. It's a winner!"
"Excellent! I used turkey kielbasa, and we had to cook it pretty long over low heat, but the end result was well worth it."
"FIVE STARS. I am making again today. January 8th, 2012. Last time I made Nov.4th. Everyone love it. Best taste after day old. I thank to my grandma-in-law."
"I've made this recipe many, many times for my family and friends.... Everyone always seems to love, love, love it!!! It's a good one for a cold fall or winter dinner..."