Kids’ Choice Chip & Fruit Oatmeal Cookies
Kids and cookies go together. Given kids affinity for sugar, you might as well temper it with some of the "good stuff", in this case, oats with their soluble fiber and whole wheat, with its extra vitamins, minerals and bran. Trust us: the kids won't know they're getting anything "healthy" in their favorite cookie!—Taste of Home Cooking School
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups chocolate chips, chunks, dried fruit bits and/or chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugars, vanilla, salt and vinegar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda and oats; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chips, fruits and/or nuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2-in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Kids' Choice Chip & Fruit Oatmeal Cookies in Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.