Kidney Bean Tostadas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beans, chili powder and cumin in 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Spoon bean mixture over tortillas. Top with lettuce, sour cream and remaining salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2011
It works well as a taco, using the beans in place of the beef.
Sep 21, 2010
Great flavor and very easy to make! Very filling!
Jul 28, 2008
I would also recommend using two cans of beans.
Jul 28, 2008
The flavors are really good in this recipe. However we had a very hard time with the tortillas. They are too big to pick up and too hard to cut with a fork. We ended up dumping the topping off and using the tortilla like a large chip. Next time I'll probably cut the tortilla into chips and just have them like that.