Kidney Bean Tostadas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beans, chili powder and cumin in 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of tortillas with remaining oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Spoon bean mixture over tortillas. Top with lettuce, sour cream and remaining salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Sep 19, 2011
It works well as a taco, using the beans in place of the beef.
Sep 21, 2010
Great flavor and very easy to make! Very filling!
Jul 28, 2008
I would also recommend using two cans of beans.
Jul 28, 2008
The flavors are really good in this recipe. However we had a very hard time with the tortillas. They are too big to pick up and too hard to cut with a fork. We ended up dumping the topping off and using the tortilla like a large chip. Next time I'll probably cut the tortilla into chips and just have them like that.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.