Kidney Bean Sausage Supper
I'm always looking for nutritious and tasty meals that do not take a lot to time to prepare," says Carol Strong Battle of Hearthsville, Virginia. "I created this bean and sausage dish by combining ingredients I happened to have on hand. I makes a filling and satisfying supper."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, onion and broth; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve in bowls over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 337 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1564mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.