Kidney Bean and Chickpea Salad
In Miami, Florida, Terri Webber picks this zesty salad when she needs a crowd-pleaser that's as close as her pantry. "The dressing blends nicely with the combination of canned beans, tomato and onion," she says. "This salad tastes just as good when It's made a day ahead. I've never seen a bowl empty so quickly!"
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ranch salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. Cover and refrigerate. Toss with dressing just before serving.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 218 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 358mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Kidney Bean and Chickpea Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2001