Kid-Made Cocoa Cupcakes
I’m only a kid, and this is the first recipe I’ve made up. But I spent a year perfecting these cupcakes, asking advice from owners of local bakeries and my baker friends. I make them for every special occasion in my family, and sometimes just for fun. If you want the cupcakes to taste more like hot cocoa, double the amount of hot cocoa mix. This recipe works well with multiple kinds of frosting flavors: mint, maple syrup, marshmallow and buttercream. Decorate them any way you want! —Maia Hubscher, South Orange, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons instant hot cocoa mix
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 milk chocolate baking bar (4 ounces), melted
- Whipped topping, thawed, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, mix eggs, milk, water and vanilla. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, beating on medium until smooth. Beat in butter; add melted chocolate and beat just until blended.
- Fill prepared muffin cups half full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, top with whip topping and decorate as desired.