VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- In a large saucepan, heat 3 cups milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, sugar, salt and remaining milk until smooth. Slowly whisk cornmeal mixture into hot milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle baking powder over the cornmeal mixture, then stir it in with the butter. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; stir in a small amount of hot cornmeal mixture. Return all to the pan and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Kentucky Spoon Bread in Country October/November 2006, p51
Reviews forKentucky Spoon Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2010
"What a great recipe for spoon"