- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bran flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup bran flakes, crushed
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg, butter and milk. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into batter. Add bran flakes. Spread into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until cake tests done. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forKate Smith Coffee Cake
"I've been making this delicious old-fashioned coffee cake for over ten years now, since I found it in Reminisce magazine. My mother says it is very similar to one that her mother made. Maybe she got her recipe from Kate Smith's original cookbook -- the timing would be about right."