Kashi and Wild Rice Pilaf
Apples, fruit juices, currants and cranberries bring a refreshing tang to this pilaf. It’s my adaptation of a different recipe.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened apple juice or cider
- 1 cup Kashi whole grain pilaf
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, apple juice, pilaf and wild rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in apples and green onions; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until apples are crisp-tender. Stir in the orange juice, cranberries, currants, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Stir in pilaf mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with pecans and parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 183 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Kashi and Wild Rice Pilaf in Country Woman Christmas 2012