Kale Pesto Flatbread
I'm always making different kinds of flatbreads at home for my wife and me. We love kale, so this recipe just seemed perfect for a quick dinner. It was immediately our favorite flatbread pizza once we tried it. We like to top it with cooked shrimp before baking it, too. —Adam Strickland, Brooklyn, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale leaves
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 whole grain naan flatbreads
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts
- 3 pickled hot cherry peppers, chopped
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place first six ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Add ricotta cheese; pulse just until combined.
- Place flatbreads on a baking sheet. Spread with kale mixture; top with artichoke hearts. Bake until crust is lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Top with peppers and basil.
Nutrition Facts1/2 flatbread with toppings: 363 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Shrimp and Ricotta cheese flatbread with Kale pesto and artichokes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017