Kale and Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 10 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Add broth, water, bouillon and kale; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving the cover ajar, simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Add beans; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Editor's Note: Fresh spinach may be used in place of kale. Add it along with the beans.
1 cup: 185 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Kale and Sausage Soup
"I confess I did not try this recipe, but it's likely that the gentleman who submitted this recipe remembers having Portuguese Kale soup in the restaurant he mentions. His attempt to duplicate it includes most of the ingredients for this famous and wonderful dish. I suggest considering re-naming this recipe so it will be found when people are searching for the ethnic original."