- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 pound fresh kale, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain. Add garlic; cook for 1-2 minutes. Add broth, water, bouillon and kale; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; leaving the cover ajar, simmer for 1 hour. Add the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add the beans; cook until potatoes are tender and beans are heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forKale and Sausage Soup
"I confess I did not try this recipe, but it's likely that the gentleman who submitted this recipe remembers having Portuguese Kale soup in the restaurant he mentions. His attempt to duplicate it includes most of the ingredients for this famous and wonderful dish. I suggest considering re-naming this recipe so it will be found when people are searching for the ethnic original."