I love to mix different vegetables together and use different herbs and spices to change things up. If you can't find apple sausage for this skillet, a good mild Italian sausage would substitute just fine. —Patricia Levenson, Santa Ana, California
Recommended: The 30-Minute Thanksgiving Dinner
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound fully cooked apple chicken sausage links or cooked Italian sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and fennel; cook and stir until onion begins to brown, 6-8 minutes. Add sausage, garlic, sherry and seasonings; cook until sausage starts to caramelize, 4-6 minutes.
- Add kale; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 15-17 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Kale and Fennel Skillet in Taste of Home September/October 2017