- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in cocoa until blended. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads 160°, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Press into a greased 13x9-in. pan.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine butter and Kahlua. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Spread over crust. Refrigerate until set.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread over filling. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews forKahlua Dream Bars
"Found the bottom layer to be very dry and tasteless. Also found that 1/3 Kahlua was way too much for 3 cups of icing sugar."