Jumpin’ Espresso Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream, thinly sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and pickled jalapeno slices, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions in oil until tender. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, coffee granules, cocoa and salt; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with sour cream, onions, cheese and jalapeno slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 272 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 12g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2012
Very tasty and filling.
Nov 28, 2011
I have recommended this recipe to friends!
Nov 19, 2011
GREAT! we kept thinking we might need to change something, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Nov 17, 2011
I made this for lunch today, and it was VERY GOOD. You really don't miss the meat. I've been trying healthy meals for my husband who just had a heart attack. Cutting back on meat and sweets, as he's also a diabetic.
Nov 13, 2011
I agree with theeeyoreguy. I added a pumpkin and sour cream topper to mine and it was great. Who knew?
Nov 13, 2011
awesome...would definitely make again!