Jumbo Pineapple Yeast Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 maraschino cherries
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, butter, salt, and remaining milk and sugar. Beat in 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add the orange juice, pineapple, sugar, orange zest and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 24x12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Place cut side down in a 13x9-in. baking pan and a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Top each roll with a cherry.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 417 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 28, 2013
This is a good, basic breakfast roll, but my family prefers our pastries a little sweeter.
May 2, 2010
My children ate it but its way too much work for such a bland flavor.
Mar 11, 2010
I found this recipe years ago and finally made them. WOW! Are they delicious and easy to make.
Nov 30, 2009
This recipe is a keeper. I do a lot of sweet breads and this one is one of my most requested. It is not too sweet.