Jumbo Onion Cheese Muffins
Chopped green onions and three types of cheese perk up these suppertime specialties. The large light-textured muffins have a golden look and savory flavor that's ideal with any entree. -Valerie Collier, Charleston, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, pepper and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in onions and cheeses.
- Fill greased jumbo muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: Muffins may be baked in regular-size muffin cups for 16-18 minutes; recipe makes 1 dozen.