Jumbo Jack-o’-Lantern Cookies
Every Halloween, I'd have a batch of these cookies waiting for my kids when they came home from school so they could decorate their own. Eventually, they started bringing friends home to join in the fun.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Orange and green decorating icing or vanilla frosting and orange and green gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars; add the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Spread into 3-1/2-in. pumpkin shapes. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of dough at the top of each for stem.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Create jack-o'-lantern faces on cookies with decorating icing or tinted frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 300 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Jumbo Jack-o'-Lantern Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.