Jumbo Greek Sub
It's nice to make just one sandwich that generously feeds six people. This meal from our Test Kitchen is easy to transport to a tailgate party or potluck.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup olive oil vinaigrette salad dressing, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/4 cup crumbled tomato and basil feta cheese or plain feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 15 to 20 cucumber slices (1/8 inch thick)
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add 3/4 cup salad dressing; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Cool.
- Cut the top third off the loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Brush remaining salad dressing on cut sides of bread. Sprinkle feta and olives in bottom half of bread. Top with chicken, red peppers and cucumber. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Originally published as Jumbo Greek Sub in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.