Jumbo Cream Rolls
I always marveled at the sweet rolls served in coffee shops. When I came across this recipe, I couldn't wait to try it. They'll be a hit with anyone who has a weakness for sweet rolls! —Marla Fogderud, Fargo, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, egg, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut into 12 slices. Combine the topping ingredients; pour into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Place rolls over topping. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until nearly doubled.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving platters.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 595 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 106g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Jumbo Cream Rolls in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003