Jumbo Chocolate Cutouts
The recipe for these light cookies has been passed down from generation to generation. Have a little extra fun with frosting if you like. They freeze well, too!—Helen Brown, East Dover, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Confectioners' sugar
- Beat shortening and cocoa until blended. Beat in molasses, sugar and eggs. Beat in coffee. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; gradually beat into molasses mixture. Dough will be very soft. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a well floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are set, 14-16 minutes. Cool on pans baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired with confectioners' sugar.
Originally published as Chocolate Jumbo Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.