This rice pudding is a customary addition to our Scandinavian-style smorgasbord on Christmas Day. The recipe has been in the family for years.—Linda Orvik, Fargo, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 blanched almond
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the water, rice and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-13 minutes or until almost tender.
- Add milk; return to a boil. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and sugar; gradually stir in 1 cup hot rice mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the raisins, vanilla and nutmeg. Transfer to a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Top with the almond. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 174 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Christmas Rice Pudding in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008