- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil in batches; drain. Place the chicken in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and an 8-in. baking dish.
- Combine the broth, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, curry powder, paprika, salt, mustard, chili powder and pepper; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with soup mix. Cover and bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forJuicy Barbecued Chicken
"This was a very good BBQ chicken recipe. I did make a couple revisions but don't think it affected the outcome of the recipe. I used all the ingredients but after reading the reviews that the sauce was watery I did add 1 T. honey. I didn't fry the chicken pieces but rather put dried off pieces in oven at 375* convection for 30 minutes. Also because of the watery reviews I drained off the juices before pouring on the sauce. I didn't cover and then baked for 30 more minutes until deeply browned. It was wonderful. We used the sauce to put on rice."
"This had more taste as leftovers. The sauce was very watery so maybe adding a little flour to it would thicken it up and even leaving the chicken in the sauce over night and then cook it the next day. I also used drumsticks."
"This was AMAZING! I am definitely going to make this again. Scrumptious flavor and ended up moist and tender. Wow!!! I didn't have curry so I left that out."
"I used boneless/skinless chicken thighs; it was really good. When I made the BBQ sauce I mixed all the ingredients into the ketchup bottle (there wasn't much ketchup left in it). I ended up not using the entire BBQ mixture because I only made a few pieces of chicken; so now when I want to use the BBQ sauce again I have the remaining sauce in the old ketchup bottle. I will definitely make this again."
"Oh My Gosh, this recipe is fantastic. I will keep it forever. The chicken is melt in your mouth delicious!! Superior job on this recipe. I love it!"
"My husband loves this and he's very picky!!!"