Joyful Cutout Cookies
Spell out season’s greetings with a flurry of these simple but elegant cookies. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Food coloring of your choice
- Snowflake sprinkles, edible glitter and unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, combine the cookie mix, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Add butter and egg; mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. stocking-, wreath- and angel-shaped cookie cutters.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In large bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, milk and extract. Tint as desired with food coloring; spread over cookies. Decorate as desired with sprinkles, glitter and coconut. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's Note: Snowflake sprinkles and edible glitter are available from Wilton Industries. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit www.wilton.com.
Editor's NoteEdible glitter is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 260 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Joy-Full Cutout Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.