Jolly Jelly Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 30 min.
MakesAbout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Red jelly of your choice
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 2 cups flour; mix well. Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes. Add the egg yolks, egg, sugar, salt, lemon zest and vanilla; mix well. Beat in butter and remaining flour. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 35 minutes.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes; cut a small slit with a sharp knife on one side of each doughnut. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag; insert a very small round tip. Fill bag with jelly. Fill each doughnut with about 1 teaspoon jelly. Carefully roll warm doughnuts in sugar. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 13, 2016
Better know as "Krofi"
May 9, 2016
I also halved the recipe, for my family size. I filled with lemon filling and *swoon*They are sooo yummy! They are in my KEEPER file for sure! Can wait to try with other fillings.
Apr 13, 2014
Made these yesterday. They were great. I made 1/2 recipe, made 18 donuts.