Jicama Slaw with Peanuts
Peanuts add interest and crunch to a crisp coleslaw featuring jicama and tangerines. For a creamy dressing, I sometimes stir in two heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise or yogurt.—Donna Noel, Gray, Maine
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium jicama, julienned
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in tangerines and cilantro. Chill until serving. Just before serving, stir in peanuts.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 144 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Jicama Slaw with Whole Peanuts in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010