Jeweled Plum Tartlets
I developed these as a way to enjoy the seasonal plums in Michigan, shares Nicole Filizetti of Jacksonville, Florida. The red plums shine like jewels in creamy custard when they emerge from the oven.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 medium plums, sliced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of two 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes or until set.
- Arrange plum slices in crusts. In another bowl, combine the egg yolk, milk, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and remaining flour. Spoon over plums; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 459 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Plum Jewel Tartlettes in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.