- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup red and green candied cherries or chopped candied pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped blanched almonds
- Line an 8x4-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap. In a large bowl, beat melted butter and sugars until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in cherries and almonds. Transfer to prepared pan. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Invert dough onto a cutting board; remove plastic wrap. Cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forJeweled Cookie Slices
"One of my all-time favorite cookies. The red and green candied cherries make a tasty and pretty cookie. Haven't had a bad batch yet. Yum! Try adding some chopped pecans for a change of pace."
"These are my husband's favorite cookie. He will buy the candied fruit as a hint that he would like me to make some for him."