Jerk-Spiced Mango Pineapple Chutney Recipe
- 4 cups chopped peeled ripe mangoes (about 4 medium)
- 4 cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until thickened.
- 2. Carefully ladle hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 half-pints.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
1/4 cup: 163 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.