- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup jam or jelly
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil, extracts and lemon peel until well blended. Beat in sugar (mixture will become thick). Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Spray the bottom of a glass with cooking spray, then dip in sugar. Flatten cookies with glass, redipping in sugar as needed. Place 1/4 teaspoon jelly in the center of each cookie. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forJelly-Topped Sugar Cookies
"My mom has been making these easy sugar cookies since she was a child. A great sugar cookie recipe to use when out of butter! Like my mom and other reviewers, I do occasionally need to add an additional extra table spoon of flour. Don't let that fact scare you from this tasty cookie! Good with or without jelly topping. As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I love using these classic recipes."
"I've made these amazing cookies and my family loved them. I tweaked the ingredients a bit and they turned out delicious."
"I don't see any issue between the ingredients and the instructions. Mine came out a little spread so I added a tablespoon of flour and they were great!"
"This cookie was spread too much and the batter was too runny and could not be pressed down as directed. The instructions in the cookbook itself are correct, but here they are wrong."
"Re: Jelly-Topped Sugar CookiesSo what are the ingredients. Does the vanilla and lemon extract still belong. I want to make these cookies but I want them to come out the correct way.Jankel"
"It does seem that a recipe for ginger cookies got mixed up in this recipe. easy enough to just leave out the goofy ingredients. ... ginger, cinnamon and cloves."
"The list of ingredients and the ingredients in the directions do not match - causes confusion in cooking."