- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups small jelly beans
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Line two 15x10x1-in. pans with foil. Melt 1 tablespoon butter; brush over foil. Sprinkle evenly with jelly beans.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in remaining butter and salt; cook until a thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Immediately pour over jelly beans. Spread with a buttered metal spatula. Cool completely.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Reviews forJelly Bean Brittle
"This is an excellent recipe and my family absolutely loves it. I spend most of my time hiding it from them or it gets eaten way faster than I'd planned on. This recipe is definitely a keeper."