- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in applesauce. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, coffee, coffee granules and vanilla until granules are dissolved; gradually add to butter mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forJava Muffins
"why this named as Java Muffins ?"
"Wonderful! These moist muffins are delicious for breakfast, snack, or coffee break. I have even made them substituting the whole wheat flour for buckwheat and the all-purpose for gluten free flour blend."