Jasmine Rice with Coconut & Cherries
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring water, oil and salt to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil, stirring once. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 15-17 minutes.
- Stir in cherries, peanuts and orange zest; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 411 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Aug 15, 2016
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Can anyone give me some ideas as to what they served this with?
Apr 1, 2015
Wonderful recipe. I used leftover brown rice, and switched out the peanuts for cashews. Enjoyed the taste of the toasted coconut. Will definitely make this again.
Mar 7, 2015
This is the be rice dish ever! I changed a couple things because I forgot to buy peanuts, but when I pulled my cocoanut out of the freezer, it had a half bag of macadamia nuts inside. I toasted the macadamiss with the coconuts and added at tha end. I increased the. Grated Orange peel to about a tablespoon and added a half teaspoon of cayenne pepper.. I used Basmati rice instead of jasmine . Great recipe!
Feb 13, 2015
I made this with a blend of brown and white rice. It was very good.
Feb 11, 2015
Since I don't like toasted coconut, I used a can of coconut milk plus enough water to make 2 1/2 cups of liquid and made it in the rice cooker. Added the cherries once the rice was done; my SO sprinkled coconut flakes on his. Smells heavenly and tastes great too!