When hosting holiday dinners, why not serve our cheesy popovers instead of ordinary dinner rolls?—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 3 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 ounces Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottoms and sides of nine popover cups; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and eggs; beat in milk and cream. Add the flour, sugar, salt and pepper; beat until smooth (do not overbeat). Fold in cheese. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full with batter. Fill empty cups two-thirds full with water.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not open door). Bake 15 minutes longer or until deep golden brown (do not underbake). Immediately cut a slit in the top of each popover to allow steam to escape.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 259 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Jarlsburg Popovers in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009