Jambalaya with Turkey Sausage
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 ounces smoked turkey sausage, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery with leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large nonstick skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, saute chicken for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 287 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 974mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 22, 2010
This was a really great recipe. We did add okra and substituted fresh tomatoes for canned. We also added some crushed red pepper flakes for a little extra kick. It was delicious.