Jambalaya with Catfish
My family owns a catfish processing plant. This colorful, zippy main dish is a great favorite of ours.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cubed
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, cayenne and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Add catfish. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 356 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Catfish Jambalaya in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition