Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or thyme
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces spiral pasta
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken, turkey or pork
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, peppers and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, mushrooms and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Add chicken to tomato mixture; heat through. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 167 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
May 22, 2012
Great flavor and heat. I would add some cornstarch to thicken the sauce before adding the pasta also. I made it with shrimp and chicken, but put the shrimp in too early (when I started cooking the pasta); next time I would wait until a few minutes before adding the pasta to the sauce, and would also try with andouille sausage or chorizo.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.