Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or thyme
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces spiral pasta
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken, turkey or pork
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, peppers and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, mushrooms and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Add chicken to tomato mixture; heat through. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 167 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 22, 2012
Great flavor and heat. I would add some cornstarch to thicken the sauce before adding the pasta also. I made it with shrimp and chicken, but put the shrimp in too early (when I started cooking the pasta); next time I would wait until a few minutes before adding the pasta to the sauce, and would also try with andouille sausage or chorizo.