Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken Tropicale Recipe
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place potatoes in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water chestnuts and cranberries. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; add pineapple to slow cooker. Top with chicken. Sprinkle jerk seasoning over chicken.
- 2. Combine the onion, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, lime peel, cumin seeds and reserved juice. Pour over the chicken. Top with thyme sprigs.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 498 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 7g fiber), 40g protein.
Reviews for Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken Tropicale
"My husband & I loved this! The combination of ingredients are so interesting. Loved the sweet potatoes & pineapple with the chicken! I didn't have any Jerk seasoning so I used garam masala & it was great! I like fresh ginger, too. The dish seemed very healthy & the aroma was nice to come home to. Thanks for such a nice recipe."
"the recipe had to be altered for good taste and my husband did not like the sweet component to the recipe."
"This was awful. The ginger was too strong. The sweet potatoes never became soft. Will not make again. Very disappointed."
"I made this exactly as stated with the exception of the Caribbean Jerk Seasoning. I could not find this one but bought Caribbean Citrus Seasoning. Do not make my mistake - my daughter and I both agreed that this was not a keeper. We ended up tossing most of the dish. Too bad, it was a bit costly to make."
"I made this tonight and the smell was wonderful. The taste was great! I will skip the rice next time as you have sweet potatoes and it seemed a little much. Will make again for sure."