"My husband quail-hunts every season, and this recipe has become our favorite way to serve the birds. The bacon keeps the meat from drying out, and the jalapeno lends a little zip," shares Diana Johnston of Kingston, Oklahoma, "I sometimes serve these cute bundles as a main dish."
Recommended: 38 Low-Carb Snacks Your Family Will Love
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise and seeded*
- 12 boneless quail breasts (about 1 pound)
- 12 bacon strips
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) Italian salad dressing
- Cut each jalapeno half into three long strips. Place a strip widthwise in the center of each quail breast; roll up from a short side. Wrap each with a bacon strip and secure with toothpicks. Place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add salad dressing; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill appetizers, covered, over indirect medium heat for 16-20 minutes or until quail juices run clear and bacon is crisp, turning occasionally. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Jalapeno Quail Appetizers in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p62