Jalapeno Corn Bread
"I enjoy this corn bread with a steaming bowl of soup," relates Deanna Dillard of Advance, North Carolina. "It's moist and cuts nicely. Jalapeno pepper adds a little zip."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and garlic powder. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a 1-qt. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 112 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Jalapeno Corn Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.