Cheddar cheese and jalapenos give this savory bread a spicy Southwestern flair. It makes a great accompaniment to chilis and stews. Top it with sweet cream butter and watch it disappear. —Julie Delisle, Ste-Sabine, Quebec
Recommended: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Stir in cheese and jalapenos.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Jalapeno Cheese Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p80