Jalapeno Buttermilk Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons oil, honey and mayonnaise. Pour remaining oil into an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; place skillet in oven 4 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in corn, cheese and peppers.
- 3. Carefully tilt and rotate skillet to coat bottom with oil; add batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: As a substitute for 1 cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup. Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1 wedge: 180 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Jalapeno Buttermilk Corn Bread
"Why is there 261mg of Sodium in this recipe. how can I make it without Sodium. Thanking you, Cynthia [email protected]"
"Delicious. I substituted pickled jalapeno slices for the chopped red pepper and the jalapeno chopped pepper. I baked the bread in an 8 X 8 pan. Thanks, Debi, for this recipe. I'll make this again."
"We love corn bread! Although I used a real egg, and didn't use any of the low-fat ingredients. This was great."