Jack’s Stuffed Mushrooms
From his Harlingen, Texas home, Jack D. Hunter II shares this zesty snack. "Since my son loves stuffed mushrooms, we came up with this wild-game appetizer," Jack writes. "We enjoy it before the big meal is served."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 3 to 4 whole dove or quail, cooked and deboned
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 serano or jalapeno pepper, seeded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. (Discard stems or save for another use.)
- In a food processor, combine the dove, cheese, serrano, salt and pepper. Cover and pulse until finely chopped. Stuff mushroom caps with meat mixture. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Jack's Stuffed Mushrooms in Taste of Home December/January 2004