- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Orange paste food coloring
- Green and black decorating gel
- Candy corn and milk chocolate M&M's, optional
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well.
- Line a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around edge of pan. Invert brownies onto a work surface and remove waxed paper. Cut brownies with a 3-in. pumpkin cookie cutter, leaving at least 1/8 in. between each shape. (Discard scraps or save for another use.)
- Tint frosting with orange food coloring; frost brownies. Use green gel to create the pumpkin stems and black gel and candy corn and M&M's to decorate the faces if desired. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Reviews forJack-o'-Lantern Brownies
"I made these last night. I didn't do the frosting on the top, I just made the brownies...and they were fantastic!!! Definitely my new favorite brownie recipe! Super easy and way better than the box mixes"
"These are so adorable! They're easy and fun to decorate, and the brownies are so delicious! They have a wonderful soft and chewy texture. Perfect! I'll be making this recipe using other shapes through out the year."
"I have made these a couple of times for class parties. I use a box brownie mix for ease, but they are cute. I only use the black gel icing to make jack-o-lantern faces."