Italian Zucchini Boats
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links (4 ounces), casing removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1/4 cup salad croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set aside. Chop zucchini pulp; set aside.
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet; add onion and celery. Cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the croutons, 2 tablespoons cheese and zucchini pulp. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Place in an ungreased baking dish; add 1/4 in. of water. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 174 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Aug 25, 2017
These are delicious and so easy..perfect for two people! update: I made it again with 2 large zucchinis,and doubled all the filling ingredients and used mozzarella cheese (the first time I used cheddar/jack). Even more fabulous!
Dec 12, 2011
Love these!! I add more sausage but other than that I followed to the letter. So good with rice balls.
Feb 22, 2010
It was a great recipe. My Husband LOVED it~ I wasn't to big on the Italian sausge b/c of all the spices but I will cook it again for my family and just put less sausage or maybe regular sausage.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.